At P. Di Natale Real Estate, our priority is supporting our clients and the community throughout this challenging time. In recent conversations we have been asked a number of questions about the state of the rental market, the impact that Covid19 is having on Tenants and Landlords and how we are adapting to the changing landscape.

In order to help you understand the current state of play and make informed property related decisions, we have put together a series of frequently asked questions for Tenants and Landlords.

If you would like to discuss anything further, our team of local property professionals are here to support you. You can speak with them over the phone, on video call, via email or in person with the appropriate social distancing measures in place.

Can I contact my Property Manager or the Office?

As our office must close due to the current government restrictions, unfortunately you will only be able to leave a message on our office number however you can still contact your Property Manager directly by calling their mobile number or via email.

Alice Mosut 0429 262 004 [email protected]
Charles Cipri 0407 549 796 [email protected]
Karla Vella 0432 908 661 [email protected]
Kayla Thomas 0412 378 429 [email protected]
Lisa Dalbon 0425 726 498 [email protected]
Rita Bennett 0488 738 372 [email protected]
Santosh Nayak 0433 605 894 [email protected]
Shreya Patel 0437 877 044 [email protected]
Susana Maltaric 0429 795 036 [email protected]
Syzana Gregory 0417 507 026 [email protected]
Taleah Donnelly 0437 532 999 [email protected]

Will routine inspections be taking place?

We have currently postponed any face to face routine inspections until social distancing measures have eased. However, our office is still conducting routine inspections where possible via an online process. Your Property Manager will be in touch if this is the case.

What is happening with open for inspections?

Restrictions now allow 'Private Inspections' for rental accommodation and sales.  However we still have virtual platforms available for those who cannot or do not wish to attend private inspections.

What about open for inspections if my property is currently being sold?

The above-mentioned process is also a requirement for all sales inspections. 

What happens if I need maintenance completed at my house?

Under Stage 4 restrictions we can only attend to Urgent maintenance.  Please continue to report your maintenance as usual and your property manager will arrange.

Under the Residential Tenancies Act 1997, urgent repairs in a rental property are:

burst water service

blocked or broken toilet system

serious roof leak

gas leak

dangerous electrical fault

flooding or serious flood damage

serious storm or fire damage

failure or breakdown of any essential service or appliance provided by a landlord or agent for hot water, water, cooking, heating, or laundering

failure or breakdown of the gas, electricity or water supply

any fault or damage in the premises that makes the premises unsafe or insecure

an appliance, fitting or fixture that is not working properly and causes a substantial amount of water to be wasted

a serious fault in a lift or staircase.

Can I be evicted if I can’t pay my rent?

Whilst Tenants and Landlords still need to abide by the Residential Tenancies Act 1997 (the Act), the Government is encouraging Landlords and Agents to be compassionate and show goodwill during this pandemic.

The Federal Government announced that there should be a suspension on rental evictions for people who are facing financial distress as a result of the Covid19. 

This will provide a measure of security for those who have been adversely affected and are concerned about the implications of being able to keep residing in their rental home.

What happens if I have lost my job and need to move out of a fixed term lease?

If you need to vacate the property due to loss of employment or income you should contact your Property Manager who will speak with the Landlord to see if an agreement can be made to end the lease early. If the Landlord does not agree to this, you may apply to VCAT based on severe hardship.

Can I reduce or defer my rental payments?

If you are experiencing financial hardship as a result of the Covid19 please ensure that you contact your Property Manager as soon as possible, and they can guide you through the relevant steps to apply to reduce or defer rental payments – at the approval of the Landlord.

What does this actually mean?

If you are experiencing genuine hardship as a result of the Covid19 circumstances, then we require you to contact your Property Manager as soon as possible.

You should also explore the available options announced by the Government on assistance packages that have been released. If these options are not enough, you will be asked to complete our Financial Hardship Application, providing more specific details regarding your situation.

Once this form and supported documents have been completed, the Landlord will be consulted and they will make the decision about a potential payment plan agreed to with the tenant.

Please note, that P Di Natale Real Estate cannot make a decision on the owners’ behalf, nor may you hear back immediately as the Landlord will need to consider their own personal situation before making their decision.

Even under these circumstances, rent is still due and payable, and it is highly unlikely that you will come to an arrangement in which there is no rent payable at all. As a result, it is advisable that you would want to avoid a large debt accumulating as this will affect your ability to rent in the future. It is imperative that if you have been genuinely impacted financially by the Covid19 that you contact your Property Manager.

What is the rent relief package legislated by the State Government?

The Victorian Government has approved a rent relief package that provides funding for tenants who are under financial duress due to Covid19 impacting their financial situation.

This is a one-off grant specifically for Tenants to ensure that they can maintain safe, secure and stable accommodation and is paid directly to the Tenant’s agent, lessor or the Landlord to contribute to the Tenant’s rental payments during this time of financial hardship.

If you are suffering financial hardship, please speak with your property manager in the first instance, and they will ask you to complete the Financial Hardship Form. Once this is completed, we can understand your situation further and contact your Landlord. We would also encourage you to investigate the rental relief package to assess if you qualify.

Where can I find more information?

As the information being provided by the Victorian Government is updated regularly, further information regarding these announcements can be found below:

The Premiers Announcement

Housing Victoria

Consumer Affairs Victoria

Should you have any questions please don’t hesitate to contact P Di Natale Real Estate via email or phone.